Interview questions can sometimes sound cliché but you need to think carefully about how you answer them. Here are some commonly asked questions. There is plenty of information available on the Internet about interviewing techniques. You can never be too prepared.
When talking through your career history, it is important to talk about the following points:
- Outline of each company you have worked for
- Outline of each role you have had
- Skills/Software packages used
- Outline of team: the level, the personalities, the difficulties, the size
- Reasons for leaving
- Any other interests relevant to the role in questions, e.g. languages, personal background, interest
Questions you may be asked that are relevant to the position you are interviewing for:
- Why do you want to work here?
- How do you feel you can help or add value to our practice/organisation?
- What do you expect in this position that you were not getting in your past positions?
- Are there any questions you would like to as about the practice/organisation?
- Are you considering any other positions?
- How do you think you would fit in with our practice? Why?
- What do you know about our practice?
Questions about your current or previous position
- Did you like working at your last role?
- In your last/current position what has been your level of autonomy in decision making?
- Why do you want to leave your present practice/organisation?
- Have you given notice?
- What did you like best about your last/present position?
Questions about yourself
- Are you considering other positions at this time?
- What do you feel is your greatest strength?
- What are some of your weaknesses/areas for development?
- What is the minimum salary you would accept? What salary do you feel you are worth? What is your salary history?
- What are you looking for in a position?
- How would you describe your personality? How would you describe your ideal manager?
Questions about your past/future
- What have you done to improve yourself during the last year?
- What are some of the most difficult problems you have encountered in your past positions? How did you solve them?
- What are your short/long term goals?
- How long would you expect to stay with us?